The design/build project of Basra Children’s Hospital, A state-of-the-art children’s acute care hospital in the southern province of Basra, a project that faced major challenges until its completion in 2009 The 16,000 sqm complex which is designed to allow for future expansion includes 94 Beds total, 20 Outpatient Exam Rooms, 2 Operating Rooms and 1 Special Procedure Room, 8 Bed Pediatric Intensive Care Unit, 4 General Nursing wards, Comprehensive Oncology Treatment center, Complete Imaging Department, Fully contained Emergency Department, Fully contained Outpatient Endoscopy Suite, 209 parking spaces, and on-site residence for 32 nurses and physicians. In addition to the Ancillary facilities – including standby power plant, laundry, food service, medical waste disposal facility, oxygen plant and a warehouse.
The project was executed in two phases. Bechtel were the main contractor for Phase I and The US Corps of Engineers were the main contractor for Phase II.
MID Contracting scope of work included:
- Design of structural, architectural, internal finishing, electromechanical and medical equipment.
- Excavation and foundation works.
- Concrete piling
- Concrete skeleton
- Internal and external block works.
- Internal and external finishing works
- Water proofing
- Aluminum works
- Laboratory furniture
- Mechanical works including; HVAC system, medical gas system, building management system, sanitation and drainage of rain works, domestic hot and cold water system, fire fighting system, FM200 and CO2 systems, supply and installation of laundry and kitchen equipment, supply and installation of a waste disposal system (Autoclave), supply and installation of an Oxygen plant, installation of medical and laboratory equipment
- Electrical Works, including; lighting works, lightning rod system, supply and installation of standby generators, fire alarm system, nurse call system, telephone system, communication system, electricity panels and sub-panels, standard air lock and security system, standard TV & satellite system and intercom systems.